Are you looking to hire an orchestra?
On many occasions, SGO has formed a partnership with a local musical society, choir, church, charity or other organisation. We have given also given concerts in venues around Oxfordshire, including Bicester, Witney, Sunningwell, Islip, Hampton Poyle and Kidlington. Examples of organisations who have commissioned our services, or with whom we have partnered for a joint event include:
- Abingdon Music Festival - Maestro conducting competition 2013, 2015
- Barezzi Opera - Pirates of Penzance 1985
- BBC One Show - recording of Walton Crown Imperial in Christ Church Cathedral 2012
- Beningborough Singers, York - choral concert in Woburn Abbey Church 2001
- Bicester Choral and Operatic Society - Verdi Requiem in Oxford Town Hall 2014
- Cranford Choral Society - two choral concerts 2008
- Didcot Choral Society - choral concerts 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004
- Didcot Arts Forum - orchestral concert 2003
- Lord Williams's Festival Chorus - gala concerts in Thame and Oxford Town Hall 1999, Thame 2001 Festival
- Jonny Martin - recording of song submission for James Bond film 'Skyfall' 2012
- Karen Sellick School of Ballet - Delibes Coppelia 2000
- Lechlade Festival - orchestral concert 2001
- Oxford Purcell Consort - choral concert 1989
- Soroptimist International of Oxford & District - a concert of operatic arias and orchestral music 1994
- Wantage Choral Society - Verdi Requiem in Oxford Town Hall 2014
What others said after hiring St Giles Orchestra
Last week's concert was for us an amazing affair which I was ever so pleased with and I want to thank you both and the members of St Giles Orchestra who took part from the bottom of my musical heart. Your group was very professional and musical in its approach to that performance and it completely complemented and enhanced our singing - a music marriage for that short time. Many many thanks.
Thank you for your organisation of the players and your attention to the detail that meant the contract worked so well.
You never know, we might work again together one day - I hope so!
Best wishes and kind regards to all the players,
Conductor, Beningbrough Singers
15 September 2001
What we can offer
We welcome the opportunity to perform concerts of overtures, concertos, symphonies, suites, opera, ballet etc, or to accompany choral societies, or as part of a larger Festival. We can provide either the whole orchestra or a selected part of it (40-70 players), with or without conductor, to suit your requirements, programme, venue size etc. We can also suggest repertoire and soloists if required.
Our typical maximum complement is:
- 2 flutes
- 2 oboes
- 2 clarinets
- 2 bassoons
- cor anglais
- bass clarinet
- 4-6 horns
- 2-4 trumpets
- 3 trombones
- 30-35 strings
- Organ / piano / harp
Each concert is different and requires different resources, some of the rarer instruments hired specially, so we do not quote specific rates, preferring to listen to your specification first.
As SGO is a community not a professional orchestra, and most of our players live near Oxford, we are more likely to be able to respond to your request if your concert is in Oxfordshire.
What to do next
Please note that we generally book our concert dates and soloists two years ahead, and that it is not usually possible to hire the orchestra with a few weeks or even a few months notice, because of rehearsal time pre-allocated for our planned concerts.
However we are happy to consider practical and innovative ideas for hirings and partnerships.
If you are interested in working with St Giles Orchestra, please contact the conductor.